Delurking post

Subject: Delurking post
From: "Brooks" bkrrrrr
Date: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:54 pm ((PST))
  I've been lurking since I decided to get a little recorder to help with bird
identification.  (birds being more heard than seen)  I'm sick of trying to
scribble some half-baked code into my notebook to try to remember their voices
by, including their local dialects and individual quirks, and of course it does
nothing to help relate the sound to others.  It will also help me to carry
recordings in the field for reference.

  I ordered the PCM-M10 to try out, swayed in the end by the pre-buffer for
those birds that just won't call on cue.  When the sticker shock wears off I'll
think about a directional microphone, in the $250 range I guess.  Since I'm
already overloaded with optics and devices of all sorts (plus food&drink, extra
layers, survival gear, etc), I expect I'll be looking at a shotgun-style mic
for compactness and ease of stowage/handling.

  It'll be interesting to see whether it works out like I'm hoping it might.

  brooks
http://www.pbase.com/bkrownd

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: