Comparison of some low-noise mics (was AudioTechnica AT4022)

Subject: Comparison of some low-noise mics (was AudioTechnica AT4022)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:54 pm ((PST))
At 8:46 AM +1100 11/20/09, Paul Jacobson wrote:

Hi Paul--
>Going back and reading Eric Benjamin's AT3032 posts personally I
>can't see anything that supports a claim for 8dB self noise for the
>AT3032's.

Hi Paul--
Eric's self noise (and other) measurements have been pretty reliable
thus far:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2005-11/msg00190.html

By chance, Rich Peet and I made a comparison recording in my living
room this pm with the below mics. It suggests to me to that Eric's
self-noise number is remarkably applicable.

MKH-40 -> SD722#1 (55.4 dB gain)
MKH-48 -> SD722 #1 (55.4 dB gain)
AT-3203 -> SD722#2  (55.4 dB gain)
NT2000 -> SD722 #2 (55.4 dB gain)
Zoom H2 Internal Mics -> H2 (high gain setting"100")

http://tinyurl.com/yzdj4to (4mb QuickTime Movie)

Conditions: Playback levels matched using clock ticks. Frequencies
under 240 hertz rolled off to help make the self-nose levels more
audible.

Rich uses four AT-3203's on his surround rig and we were marvelling
yesterday how well-matched the mics are for lower cost mics without
serial numbers. Rob D.

  = = = =