Re: QuickTime- State of Media Sharing Practices

Subject: Re: QuickTime- State of Media Sharing Practices
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:33 pm ((PDT))
On 27/10/2009, at 9:11 AM, Philip Tyler wrote:

> Hi
>
> If you go here:
> http://www.xiph.org/quicktime/
>
> and download this: XiphQT 0.1.9 and install as instructed then this:
>
> "For comparative purposes this an .ogg version of the same clip.
> Safari on Snow Leopard simply displays "Loading.." but never does..."
>
> Never happens, or at least it doesn't for me I get happy chirpy
> frog, chirp.
>
> Phil

Hi Philip and all,

I recognise this is getting more than slightly off-topic but I guess
given that naturerecordists  share audio and video via the web there
is a degree relevance.

The point of the exercise was to demonstrate the way different
embedding methods effect how the audio is handled rather than whether
there are plugins available to support different codecs. Ultimately
the goal of the html5 <audio> and <video> tag is to eliminate the need
for plugins to handle these kinds of media, but there is clearly a
long way to go before that happens.  While use of only open/free audio
formats is a worthwhile goal the reality is that it's going to take
time to get to the point where that is viable, and in the interim we
need to take a pragmatic approach.

Take a look at http://www.statowl.com/plugin_overview.php for example
and you'll see why it's not necessarily a great idea to target
Quicktime for delivering media - it's installed on roughly 62% of
computers using the net.  The plugin with highest level of penetration
is Flash (over 95%) and while not open source the Flash plugin is
available for Windows, OSX, Linux and Solaris. The Flash plugin is
able to handle mp3 and mp4 which makes it the best cross platform tool
for delivery of audio and video media available to us at present.

The following links provide good information on how to use flash and
open source players to deliver audio and video in an accessible manner:

http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki/iphone_mp4
http://www.macloo.com/examples/audio_player/

or alternatively using the open-source version of flowplayer

http://flowplayer.org/documentation/installation/index.html
http://flowplayer.org/plugins/streaming/audio.html

As a test I've used a screen capture I made with QTX Player a few
weeks ago to demo  Wave Editor layers and Izotope RX. I imported
the .mov into iMovie and then exported as an .mp4 using the "broadband
high" settings.

I've used flowplayer to embed the Wave Editor screen capture (1.6mb
but configured so it won't d/l until you click play) and a second
instance with the Frogs mp3 with a "nice" splash screen, which is
something similar to the 7loons Quicktime setup.  BTW this is the
first time I've used flowplayer and it's taken about 30 minutes of
reading the docs and editing html to get enough of a grasp of what was
required to put together this:

http://demo.mactrix.com.au/flash.html

cheers
Paul