Re: [Nature Recordists] QuickTime- State of Media Sharing Practices (was

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] QuickTime- State of Media Sharing Practices (was Loons by John Neville
From: Rob Danielson <>

At 4:33 PM +0000 10/21/09, Philip Tyler wrote:

>Hi Rob
>
>QuickTime Player v7 Pro is working OK for me.

Hi Phil--
And the "Save Source As" pull-down menu is accessible on the far right of a QT
player embedded in a browser page?
Hi Rob
Yes I just tried it on John Neville's Loon recording and once it has fully
loaded the file the 'Save Source As' is available. But it is greyed out until
the file is fully loaded.
Phil
>Have you tried re-entering your QuickTime Pro key code?

Good idea. I don't see an obvious way to un-install the Pro key.  The
File -> Export feature that is normally activated with Pro status has
remained accessible. The "Save Source As" menu button disappeared
when I was running v7.13 about 2 weeks ago.  If your v7 has the
pull-down menu button, I'll definitely post to the users group. It's
had me puzzled.

>I was running Mac OS Tiger on a PowerBook G4, I then upgraded to a
>MacBook Pro with Mac OS Leopard. I entered the QT Pro key I had when
>using my PowerBook into QT under Leopard and it was recognised and I
>got all the Pro feature. When I upgraded to Snow Leopard I thought
>at first I had lost my QT Pro features as everything opens in QT
>v10. But a quick search showed that QT v7 was still on the computer
>and had all the Pro features. So a heads up to anyone out there
>upgrading to Snow Leopard. If you do clean install of Snow Leopard
>then you will find that QT v7 will not be there and you will have to
>get the QT v7 installer. Upgrade and it will still be there but QT
>v10 will be made the default player.

Upgrading from 10.4.8 to 10.4.11/QT 7.6.4 eliminated the 7.13 QT
player on my PPC mac. I was forced into the upgrade because my
iTunes/Shuffle went inoperative. Apple hasn't resorted to these
measures in the past; its sobering. There are some other missing
features in the "upgraded" version of QT as well.

>It's worth hanging onto QuickTime player v7, as there are rumours
>that the Pro features might not be added to the 10 version? On the
>other hand there are rumours that they will be included at no extra
>charge. Take your pick.

I've read this too. Its saddening to be approaching this point, but
we may have to abandon use of all non-open source formats/encoders if
we want to make more certain our web resources can remain
unrestricted. The more blind upgrading we do, the more vulnerable we
become. The sooner we step outside of the ever-tightening noose, the
less work there will be to fix.

Seems  likely the freeware -> gotchaware trend will increase as
people have less money for new gadgets. ASCAP let bars and
restaurants get used to playing music for free for years and then,..

>I just have to remember to open any file I want to have access to
>the Pro features in the right version of QT, bit of a pain.
>
>A useful utility, if you can call it that, is KeepVid:
>
><http://keepvid. com/>http://keepvid. com/
>
>You can paste a URL of a web site into it and it will retrieve the
>video file for you if possible.

Seems to work if URL for the media
(https://Server. com////AudioFile .mp3) is accessible in the source
code. In many pages, it ain't. The FireFox extensions seem to be a
little faster, if they work!  Rob D.

= = =