Re: Sounds to record in Fall / Autumn

Subject: Re: Sounds to record in Fall / Autumn
From: "Steve" pelikan45224
Date: Wed Oct 7, 2009 7:15 pm ((PDT))
Hi Al --- interesting question and a break from the more technical discussi=
ons we've been having.

As far as recording individual organisms, this fall I've been trying to get=
 some orthopterans (but have a harder time finding and Identifying them tha=
n recording them) and chipnotes of migrant warblers and flycatchers (this i=
nvolves following someone around for half an hour until (s)he makes a few n=
otes. Prerecord buffers help a whole lot here.

My main project for the fall, though, is to try to record wind moving throu=
gh some of my favorite forests. Leaves rustle, Blue Jays call, Waxwings his=
s... The problem is to get the whole picture (almost like the problem of so=
unds on a beach with waves but also sand pipers and gulls etc.). My approac=
h will be (I hope) multi-scale with an stero omnis on barriers (Thanks, Cur=
t!) and close up microphones on branches and dry leaves together with parab=
olic recordings of birds and squirrels.

Then I'll have to learn how to mix the darn things properly!

Thanks for our posting ... I, too, would be delighted to hear what other pe=
ople are trying to accomplish this fall...

Steve P
--- In  "ndbdxr" <> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> My interest in wildlife sound recording really got into gear about a year=
 ago. I came by way of bat recording, which I've done since '06 (and still =
do).
> This will be my first Fall and Winter of serious nature sound recording.
> I usually record bats 'till about November.
>
> A question for you experienced nature sound recorders, specifically Folks=
 in the Northeastern US:

> I would like to know what I should be listening for now that Fall is here=
? I'm currently still recording bats and some Katydids in the tree tops on =
the warmer evenings. Which nocturnal creatures have you Folks recorded in p=
revious Autumn seasons?

> Thank a bunch!
>
> -Al

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: