Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: tape digitizing

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Re: tape digitizing
From: vickipowys <>
All,

John wrote:

>  But, as you probably know, CD-R's don't last all that long.  They
> are certainly not archive material.

So what is the current accepted way to archive digitized recordings?
I use CD, DVD and hard drive and try to make multiple copies, but I
don't have everything backed up on hard drives just yet.

FWIW, I digitize cassette recordings direct from my Sony WMD6C
walkman (on which many of my own cassette recordings were made), with
audio lead running direct to iMac computer.  This is a very simple
system useful for a limited number of tapes.  The quality of copying
seems excellent, no added hums or anything.  Considering that the
original recordings had tape and environmental noise, then perhaps
the super-pro systems would be overkill for my purposes.  I also need
to be careful with things like the type of tape used for original,
and have the correct setting for that.  Keep the tape heads clean and
demagnetised.  Tapes recorded with Dolby are a pest and hard to
reproduce accurately without noise pumping etc.  The main thing with
digitizing cassettes as I see it, is to do it NOW rather than wait a
few years, as the cassettes do deteriorate markedly over the years,
losing high frequencies and succumbing to print through.

Vicki Powys
Australia