Re: Sony PCM-M10 - another new pocket-size recorder

Subject: Re: Sony PCM-M10 - another new pocket-size recorder
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:24 pm ((PDT))
Sony's USA web pages now have details about the PCM-M10. The link to all Sony's
diogital recorders, including the M10 is
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-audio/cat-recorders/

Here's the disappointing news:
-- M10 preamp signal to noise ratio 87 dB
-- similar S/N ratio for D50 = 93 dB, D1 = 96 dB
It's not clear if this refers to the internal mics, external mic input, or line
input.

My conclusion: The M10 will add noticeable hiss to recordings
in a quiet setting.  The M10's preamp performance will not
match that of Sony's stellar HiMD machines.  Sigh...

Additional observations after reading the specifications:
-- the M10 has no optical input or output,
-- M10 uses two AA cells, rather than four, like the D50,
-- kit includes a wired remote control (RM-PC001)
-- kit includes an AC power adapter that outputs 3V DC.

-- M10 dimensions 4 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 7/8"
-- compare to D50 6 1/8" x 2 7/8" x 1 5/16"

-- M10 weight is 6.6 oz, including 2 AA cells
-- compare to D50 13 oz including 4 AA cells

The full user manual is not available yet.

On another matter, I think I now see how Sony will adjust the playback volume.
Rather than use the volume control on the right side of the machine for both
recording gain and playback volume, I think this control is for recording only.
 The playback volume will be controlled by the FF/RW buttons on the left side
of the front.  If you look carefully at the photos on the web site, you can see
little up and down arrows associated with these buttons.  Also, playback volume
can be set via the remote control.

--oryoki