Flying Telinga

Subject: Flying Telinga
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:28 am ((PDT))
<<In particular, I'm wondering what airport security typically makes
of the strange cylindrical objects with wires-hanging out ? I'm not
keen on
risking mic/handle as hold luggage, having seen suitcases getting
thrown out of plane onto tarmac etc.>>

I fly with a half dozen Neumann & Schoeps mics packed in checked
baggage to 85 to 90 concerts worldwide every year with not a single
damaged microphone in a quarter century of touring. A lot of the rack
gear has suffered damage, but a mic properly packed in foam just won't
accelerate enough when thrown to cause any damage. As far as security,
I can recall maybe a handful of times in the last few decades when
security personnel needed to open a case to inspect the mics. Not
really a problem.

Scott Fraser