Re: LS-10 vs 702, ambience

Subject: Re: LS-10 vs 702, ambience
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:15 pm ((PDT))
Rob,

you wrote:

> Before we can reach the conclusion. "that the higher self noise level
> at SENSE LOW and 16 bit is still sufficiently low for these
> microphones," I think Vicki would have to use the ideal record gain
> settings for the LS-10 and make recordings in a quiet room using both
> the SASS [10 dB(A) self noise] and her Telinga [higher self-noise].
> If the LS-10's pre is sufficiently quiet, there should be a very
> audible noise jump when going from SASS to Telinga. Might be wise to
> include other mics in the test too.

Problem is, Rob, that I cannot use the SASS set up with the LS-10,
due to the mics requiring phantom power.  I guess what I was
originally trying to show was a. that the LS-10 COULD pick up low
rumbles of thunder (despite predictions that it could not), and b.
that the Telinga stereo mic (which can only be used with the LS-10)
made a very acceptable low-noise and highly sensitive unit for
lightweight recording expeditions.

My personal preference is for the SASS and SD702 which is a really
lovely, extremely quiet set up, and the precision of directional
information when listening through headphones is what I love the most
about it.  I could not get that same amount of directional
information from the Telinga (based on the entire clips that I made,
not necessarily shown in the samples I posted).

The Telinga mic has a 'brighter' sound than the SASS-702.  Klas
described the latter as 'muffled' but in reality it isn't, to my ears
anyway.  I guess it has more to do with subject matter.

It is possible that the conversion of my clips to mp3 produced some
unevenness of ambience.

I agree that the LS-10, even with optimal settings (low sense, volume
10) has more noise than the SD-702 and SASS.

When spring arrives in earnest, I will try for some 'movement' tests,
to see how the Telinga mic (coupled to LS-10) compares with SASS-702.

By the way, I didn't change any of the levels in post, for my
examples.  And have been very impressed at the sensitivity of the
Telinga.

best wishes,

Vicki