Re: Lyrebird imitating ... Digest Number 4395

Subject: Re: Lyrebird imitating ... Digest Number 4395
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:03 pm ((PDT))
Mike,

Yes, John and David are correct.  The Blackbird that occurs in
Australia is the English/European species Turdus merula, not a native
to Australia but brought out here by homesick English folk in the
1800s (along with rabbits and foxes).  The Blackbird can displace
native species, but has a beautiful song, and is itself an
accomplished mimic.

Vicki Powys
Australia