Re: Zoom H2 Gain Structure

Subject: Re: Zoom H2 Gain Structure
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Jul 6, 2009 11:47 am ((PDT))
At 8:40 AM -0500 7/6/09, Curt Olson wrote:

>So now my setup is... Sound Devices MixPre (XLR line outs) > 20db pad
>>  H2 line in (with gain set to "100"). In terms of audio quality,
>this combination seems to be an excellent alternative to FR-2LE or SD
>702/722 recorders (albeit with considerably more monkey business
>involved to get there).
>
>Curt Olson

Hi Curt--
I agree, Richard's page is a must read for H2 owners:
http://richardhess.com/notes/2009/04/13/zoom-h-2-line-input/

I've been using the "tape out" (-10dB) 3.5mm output from my Sound
Devices MP-2 into the H2's line input and comparing this chain to a
Symetrix SX202 Mic Pre-> RME audio interface chain. I'm only able to
detect very, very small differences in audio performance that I
believe are stemming more from minute differences in the two pres and
mics than any line input noise or audible A-D differences.

Both pres are spec'd with 60 dB gain and the "sensitive" line input
on the H2 is producing about 10.5 dB more saturation on the sound
files it creates.  I don't believe I'll need to use any attenuation
when recording in the natural spaces I typically visit and, so far,
the additional signal is more of a plus than a minus.  Keeping the H2
record level set at "100" as Richard suggests has proven to be the
case with my tests too.

Without attenuation between the MP-2 and the H2, one would have to
turn down the external preamp gain pots pretty significantly for loud
sources. I'm curious to see how the H2's input circuitry will respond
to brief duration, high SPL sounds routed through the external mic
pre, but the combo seems to be performing fine, audio-wise, for
nature recording. As Aaron and other recordists have pointed out for
a couple of years, the H2 provides a good blend of ease and essential
features too. Its been filling-up 8GB cards and closing out all the
files running on AC without a hitch. Next step, sufficiently sized, 9
volt battery sleds. Rob D.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: