[Nature Recordists] Re: Zoom H2 Gain Structure

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Zoom H2 Gain Structure
From: Curt Olson <>

Thank you Richard,

And thanks again for your private help on this a couple months ago.
It's important to understand the signal flow inside these devices so
we can optimize our gain staging for best results.

So now my setup is... Sound Devices MixPre (XLR line outs) > 20db pad
> H2 line in (with gain set to "100"). In terms of audio quality,
this combination seems to be an excellent alternative to FR-2LE or SD
702/722 recorders (albeit with considerably more monkey business
involved to get there).

Curt Olson

Richard Hess wrote:

> I was looking around and found this FAQ on the Zoom H2.
>
>> The record level control (0 - 127) should always be set to 100.
>> This control simply changes the level in the digital domain and you
>> can do that in the PC afterwards just as effectively - and at that
>> point you'll know what the recorded levels were. Raising the
>> recording level in the H2 above 100 risks digital overloads
>> unnecessarily. Lowering the level in the H2 below 100 will not
>> prevent analog overloads - all you will do will be to reduce the
>> level of the already-distorted audio. (If recording very loud
>> amplified music, L100 might result in both analog and digital
>> overload - you might find that using a setting below 100 in that
>> kind of situation could give a better result by at least removing
>> the digital distortion component, though you'd still hear quieter
>> analog distortion - I'd suggest doing your own tests).
>
> http://www.2090. org/zoom/ bbs/viewtopic. php?t=3D9745& start=3D0
>
> This is what I independently said here:
>
> http://richardhess. com/notes/ 2009/04/13/ zoom-h-2- line-input/
>
> The page at 2090.org goes farther and talks about some useful rules
> for the mics as well...like don't use the H setting (I have not
> verified this).
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard
>
> Richard L. Hess  .com