Re: Fostex FR2LE auto file-splitting?

Subject: Re: Fostex FR2LE auto file-splitting?
From: "David Michael" wildlifeanalysis
Date: Sun Jun 7, 2009 11:12 am ((PDT))
Thanks Rob,

I'm headed into the archives for this list. Its funny: both ambient and lon=
g duration recording seemed much simpler conceptually than in implementatio=
n.

One lesson learned in the exploration of both forms of recording is that yo=
u cannot replace planning and research for practice and experience. There h=
ave been at least a few "unknown unknowns", that is, things that I didn't k=
now I didn't know (to quote a linguistic genius but dubious leader).

David

--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Hi David--
> Oryoki produced a list of recorders that keep writing that's in the
> list archive somewhere. Its a short list. I should get that info on
> the recorderlist.
>
> One possible work-around is to record in split stereo mode--
> producing two mono tracks. Might not be an option with the Fostex,
> but worth checking. In this mode, 44.1K/16bit would give you over six
> hours. The 2GB limit is in the .wav or aiff format. SDII and some
> other audio formats don't have it.
>
> Challenges of long duration recording tends to reveal recorder design
> flaws a little like quiet locations tend to foreground mic and pre
> flaws.  There are quite a few "gotchas" that can crop up, even with
> Sound Devices recorders as we've discovered. Rob D.
>
>    =3D =3D =3D =3D
>
> At 3:10 PM +0000 6/7/09, David Michael wrote:
> >Interesting,
> >I had forgotten about this limit. Upon reexamining the FR2LE, there
> >is no option to turn this max file size feature off. So the
> >implication is that it records until it hits 2 or 4 GB and then
> >justv stops.
> >
> >It would be dreamy if it just closed the file and kept on going with
> >a new file... if not, I would have to conclude that this would be a
> >tremendous design flaw in the software. I will set it to start
> >recording and see what happens when the limit is reached, though the
> >language in the manual is pretty clear about its behavior.
> >
> >Thanks
> >David
> >
> >--- In
> ><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=