Re: Software for Mac

Subject: Re: Software for Mac
From: "Steve Pelikan" pelikan45224
Date: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:14 pm ((PDT))
Yes, check the history as Martyn suggests.

Except, of course, that software is always changing --- especially open sou=
rce software to which many people contribute features and bug fixes. The ba=
sic structure of such programs (Audacity for example) changes slowly but mu=
ch faster the commercial products. And small tweaks to features happen even=
 faster.

So it makes sense to have an ongoing discussion of (at least) open source p=
rograms.

That said, the latest Audacity beta currently has problems on Mac OS X  but=
 works fine on windows and linux as far as I've heard. Version 1.2.6 works =
well on all systems as I understand it.

Some "small" commercial products also fix problems quickly and change faste=
r than the major products so they're also worth tracking with comments here=
 rather than referring to past postings. (Examples? perhaps Amadeus on Mac?=
)

I recall one person posting here at one point saying that commercial produc=
ts were worth his money because they were easier to use. Several years late=
r the same person posted that he was reducing his recording effort because =
software upgrades were so expensive. (Just my memory of the situation. I co=
uld well be wrong.)

So, there's free programs available to do _whatever_ recordists need to do =
and if one chooses to put ones money towards microphones (say) and spend so=
me time worrying over getting free software and getting it to work... that =
seems a valid trade-off/choice to me.

Cheers!

SP