Re: New thread: Low Hz filtering

Subject: Re: New thread: Low Hz filtering
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Apr 5, 2009 5:18 pm ((PDT))
I agree with Kevin about the abundance of VLF, even in remote places.
I think sounds from great distance are mostly under 40Hz.  It seems
the LF "roll-off" filter often gets enlisted when the garbage is
overwhelming and residing  as high as 250Hz, even 500Hz. Those
frequencies in the lower mid-range in my perception.   LF "roll-off"
is not really the best filter to use for this and since the tonal
balance can best be adjusted in post,  I haven't engaged those
filters in years. [Tape was a little different than digital media--
the HF gets eaten up more with tape.] If there's a predominance of LF
in the subject like a garbage truck, try getting the mic closer to
where the higher frequencies are being created. This will add tonal
breadth.  A LF filter will not.

The last time we discussed the topic it was under "speakers for
editing" and I do think that targeting your monitoring in "LF
management," as the pros like to say, is something to consider.

If I'm following umashankar correctly, the only way one could
practice the theory of "flat frequencies response" --that is-- not
correcting for volume and monitoring Hz balances difference-- would
be to match the sound playback level of the original sounds.

This is doable for sounds above 50 SPL but not when trying to image
low level sounds like acoustic space or the "ambience" of quiet
natural settings.  We've all noticed that we need to increase the
playback volume of such recordings a great deal, probably 12-30 dB
louder than we use for music to achieve levels that are 6-10 dB
louder than background sound level of the playback space.

So, for speakers, unless the "nature" you are recording is quite
loud, "correction" and aesthetic judgement is very likely to be
involved. As Kevin says, changes are often necessary to be more
consistent with what was heard.

Quieter spaces also tend to have very low dynamic range and subtle
tonal differences. This really changes the way mixes work on us and
sound "right."  One shouldn't need much LF < 125Hz  filtering for
quiet location ambience unless you are _really_ cranking up the
volume. Yes, there is a very large percentage of VLF energy in the
background sounds of such recordings, but, as umashankar points out,
our ears are inherently insensitive to these lowest pitches.

Try using a few bands of parametric EQ on "culprit" peaks between 125
and 500 Hz to lessen (not remove) the presence of the offensive
sounds and let the LF be. You might find the result to feel more
accurate and easier on the ears.

Always EQ at the same level you will play the material back. To
significantly improve upon these results when working with broad
bandwidth, low dynamic material, duplicate the monitoring and the
room used (or send everyone a pair of the really great headphones you
used).  Rob D.