Re: Noise!!!!

Subject: Re: Noise!!!!
From: "John Tudor" jtudor2005
Date: Sat Apr 4, 2009 10:47 pm ((PDT))
--- In  Martyn Stewart <> wrote:

> This e-mail was supposed to be sent to John, personally and ended up
> on the list,

Well, since it's on the list. There have been several postings on this list=
 in the past by, what I would assume, to be 'founding' members. Some relate=
 to deaths of well known recordists (such as one last week). That's not dir=
ectly related to nature recording. some refer to the intrusion of noise int=
o the quiet spaces. Is that directly related to nature recording? Probably.=
 Some refer to a particular recording including a query to the original pos=
ter about what equipment was used for that recording. Once a sound is poste=
d, what can people comment on in regards to it. I've mentioned before that =
some of the threads end up being a mutual appreciation society with every m=
an and his dog saying how wonderful a particular recording is.

My point being, once the Yellowstone post was up, and then someone asks wha=
t rig was used, where is the line drawn about how far 'off topic' the threa=
d wanders. If one mentions I used 'xyz' rig and someone else chimes in with=
 a question about it, it doesn't take long for the original topic to get lo=
st. AND I've also commented on that in the past. (along with deleting quote=
d text to keep the thread short)

The reason I posted the information about the film 'Noise' is because it DO=
ES have relevance to the intrusion of noise into our quiet spaces. And I th=
ink it's loosely based on true facts as seen in the ending credits about al=
arms being banned in certain locations.

So, is it related to 'nature recording'? I don't know. Is it related to the=
 intrusion of man made sound? Yes it is, even if it is completely fictional=
 it is a demonstration of how many people are oblivious to the damage they =
are doing.