Woodpeckers, Planes and Trains

Subject: Woodpeckers, Planes and Trains
From: "tk7859" tk7859
Date: Wed Apr 1, 2009 11:13 am ((PDT))
Hi All

This morning I went along on a walk with other members of my local "Over 60=
s Keep Fit Club".  The venue was the RSPB's (Royal Society for the Protecti=
on of Birds) Stour Estuary Nature Reserve.  At one point just after we had =
crossed a bridge over the London to Harwich railway line I heard a woodpeck=
er drumming.

I took out the LS-10 and managed to catch some of the sound (perfect demons=
tration of the use of the little Olympus as a "point and shoot" device).

Also caught was the noise of an overflying jet, the passing of an electric =
passenger train heading for Harwich and my wife chattering with other membe=
rs of the group.  Curlew, wood pigeon and other birds are also in there.

My first thoughts were that the "non nature" sounds had spoilt the recordin=
g.  However, on second thoughts I quite like the result.  It is a recording=
 of a woodpecker in its natural surroundings, warts an all.

Looking at the clip's wave form it is interesting that the drumming increas=
es in volume as the aircraft and train approach - a normal reaction?

The recording can be heard, and the site seen, at the Radio Aporee site

<http://aporee.org/maps/?lat=3D51.94009814771148&lng=3D1.196608543395996&zo=
om=3D16&type=3Ds&locid=3D3431&title=3DWoodpecker%2C%20Plane%2C%20Train%20-%=
20Ccpperas%20Bay>

The file has also been posted to geocities

<m("btinternet.com/Woodpecker_Plane_TrainII.mp3","//uk.geocities.com/g0sbw");">http:>

The woodpecker was recorded 7 miles West of Felixstowe, one of Europe's lar=
gest container ports and six miles West of the historic port of Harwich.  T=
hese ports can be examined by moving/zooming the Radio Aporee map/photo to =
the east of the recording site.  Clearly there is no shortage on man genera=
ted activity in the area.

The LS-10's internal mics were used at high sensitivity 10.  The as recorde=
d sound was boosted by 3dB and fade in and fade out added before conversion=
 to MP3.

Cheers
TomR