Great Bay Area recording locations

Subject: Great Bay Area recording locations
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:56 pm ((PST))
On Feb 26, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Tom Williams wrote:

> Having spent a little time in the SF Bay area I would imagine that
> although
> there's plenty of wonderful landscapes very close to the city, to
> get far
> enough from the urban areas and their associated freeways and
> airports to
> find an environment free from human noise must involve quite a
> journey!
>

> Tom W.

Actually, Tom, there are several within a 20 minute drive from where
we live in Glen Ellen, about 55 miles/97km north of SF.  7 miles/11km
from here is Sugarloaf State Park in Sonoma County, where I've
recorded each spring since 1994. The dawn choruses are broken only
rarely (once for a short time every couple of visits) by human ground-
level human noise and only an occasional commercial aircraft
overflight (maybe one or two per hour). As Kevin Colver and Martyn
Stewart can attest, it's a pretty soundscape-rich environment and one
that's easily accessible. I typically record many mornings, there,
especially during March and April and invite any member of the group
to join me. This season, I began recording in January and have
recorded several mornings this past month. Within a 15 minute walk of
the parking lot, there are several different types of habitats:
Riparian, low-lying brush, oak forest, redwood forest, and open
meadow, for instance. There are even a couple of lakes if one is into
longer hikes first thing in the morning.

Bernie

> 2009/2/24 Lou Judson <>
>
> > Mental shift: The lakes were there first, thus the roads and urban
> > areas are near the lakes, not the other way round. Too bad, same
> > result, machines dominate the soundscape... way too prevalent in
> this
> > overcowded world!
> >
> > Like Matryn's experience in Costa Rica, more people are the main
> > thing that threatens the natural soundscape... Same thing here in
> the
> > Bay Area.
> >
> > <L>
> >
> > On Feb 24, 2009, at 2:00 AM, Tom Williams wrote:
> >
> > Great recordings - I love the sense of space that comes from
> recording
> > across open water. Sadly most of the lakes around here are either
> > near urban
> > centres or major roads which rather ruins the effect!

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-996-6677