Re: Greetings from a new member

Subject: Re: Greetings from a new member
From: "Michael Oates" msohooates
Date: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:38 am ((PST))
Valdi,

Species recording can indeed be done without a parabola, very good
recordings can be done that way, but it takes a great deal of knowledge and
patience. Basically you need to get the microphone close to the wildlife
that way the gain is turned down and background sounds are reduced
dramatically. So you need to study the wildlife concerned, see what it's
habits are, where is it vocal from and when etc. Then position the
microphone appropriately. I have never done this, but I know people that
have and I take my hat off to them.

A dish will certainly get you more recordings and it a great tool, just
don't rule out species recordings without one.

Mike