newbie - new equipment & software selections

Subject: newbie - new equipment & software selections
From: "r_westfall" r_westfall
Date: Fri Feb 6, 2009 11:39 am ((PST))
Hello,

I am completely new to sound recording.  I enjoy nature recordings and
had made a promise to myself that one day I would return to a
particular place and record the amazing sound there.
(here's a link:  http://www.hockinghillspark.com/Conkles_Hollow.asp)

The stone cliffs cause a natural reverb on the hollow floor - it has
an ethereal quality.
-----------------------------------
My budget is about $1,000.  The equipment should be portable and able
to capture at least a couple of hours at a time.
I expect that the main usages would be
 1) nature recordings (birds, storms & wind)
 2) general/travel - combining on-location recordings with slide shows
       (My wife and I are on a mission to visit & photograph the
        National parks.)
 3) folk music & concerts (when allowed).

I realize that I have a lot to learn.  Go ahead and use your normal
jargon - I'll try to learn and get up to speed.
Thanks.