Re: XLR to miniplug adapter cable info

Subject: Re: XLR to miniplug adapter cable info
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Feb 1, 2009 4:36 pm ((PST))
> The cables are wired as follows:
>
> 3.5mm Tip to left XLR Pin 2
> 3.5mm Ring to right XLR Pin 2
> 3.5mm Sleeve to Pins 1 and 3 on both XLR
>
> While some have predicted the end of the universe if used with this
> pinout, I find the cable works fine to connect a battery box like the
> ART Phantom II to the audio recorders I've tried.  I believe that
> Sound Devices MixPre wants a different cable pinout.  You probably
> should check with the manufacturer of the box you're using.  The shell
> of the XLR cable can be removed if you need to cut, or add, a
> connection between pins.

A transformer output -must- be wired this way, or you will get a low-
level and very thin sound.

A cross-coupled active output -should- be wired this way. Leaving pin
3 open and using pin 2 will work but produce 6 dB lower level.

A simple active output -should not- be wired this way. The amp driving
pin 3 will be driving a short and the strain on the circuitry may
cause distortion or damage. Leave pin 3 open and use pin 2 for hot.

There is no general rule for unbalancing XLR outputs. You gotta know
what's in the box.

Unbalanced into XLR -inputs- is a different story.

-Dan Dugan