1. Re: impossibility of silence

Subject: 1. Re: impossibility of silence
From: "Gianni Pavan" gianni_pavan
Date: Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:11 am ((PST))
Great! Tranquility maps are very interesting and I'm now wondering
about how they were made. I'll dig into the website to hopefully find
some explanation.
Though, I would say that "tranquility", for human beings, is not only
related to "silence"; in my opinion, tranquility is a much more
complex feeling that is related to both hearing and vision. If you
join a beautiful landscape with silence or pleasant nature sounds you
probably get the most!
In the area around the international airport "Malpensa", north-west
of Milan, there are beautiful agricultural landscapes and woodlands.
But they are noisier than urban areas because landing and take-off
corridors are concentrated over those non populated areas, to avoid
disturbance to urban aggregations. There you can experiment the
paradox of great landscapes noisier than urban areas!!!

Gianni