Re: Introduction - new member seeking advice on recorder

Subject: Re: Introduction - new member seeking advice on recorder
From: "crudknuckle" crudknuckle
Date: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:44 pm ((PST))
Robert,

I just picked up both a Zoom H2 and a Fostex FR-2LE. I treat the former lik=
e a point and
shoot (and rocks with ambience recordings), and the latter is treated like =
a DSLR. I use these
similes not just because I'm also a photographer, but also because in terms=
 of future-
proofing, mics are to lenses what recorders are to cameras: investments ver=
sus purchases.
Great mics, preamps, and other hardware will go out of style a lot less fre=
quently than the
digital stuff.

Really, I've been thrilled with both devices (the FR-2LE was just so-so unt=
il the v1.20
firmware, which solved several major shortcomings), but do use each for ver=
y different
purposes. When I head into the field not knowing what might happen, I just =
carry both!

Have fun doing your research and making your purchase. From the Zoom H2 to =
the SD 702
and everything in between, it's a great (and ever-improving) era for audio =
hardware!