Re: Audio Technica AT822 or Sony ECM-MS957 for general stereo work?

Subject: Re: Audio Technica AT822 or Sony ECM-MS957 for general stereo work?
From: "jcrichardson30360" jcrichardson=
30360
Date: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:31 pm ((PST))

Wow Rob,

Thanks so much for the thorough reply, with loads of useful information. I =
wasn't even
aware of the Rode VSM. Man this group is great!!

You also mention that after a few years of field use I'd be more satisfied =
with mics in the
next price point up ($400-$600).

In YOUR opinion, what would be the best mics in this "budget pro" range, ag=
ain
uderstanding that there is no one best mic, but I think you get my aplicati=
on based on
your reply. I initially wasn't planning on
starting at that level, but you make a good point, in that if I'm investing=
 my time in
collecting sounds, I don't want to look back and wish I'd gotten a better m=
ic from the
beginning.

I am well aware of the stellar reputation and sonics of Neumanns, Schoeps, =
Sanken, etc,
but those are
definately not in the $400-$600 range. Were you thinking something along th=
e lines of a
spaced pair of AT3032's?

Again everyone, thanks so much for helping out a beginner, and I hope my qu=
etions do
not seems sophmoric.

J.C.

--- In  Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Hi JC--
> I've used both mics. "Recording...atmos," can include a wide variety
> of conditions but in terms of noise performance, neither mic would be
> a good choice for recording atmospheric presence in quiet locations
> or in situations necessitating high gain settings.  The high
> self-noise of the Sony ECM-MS957 is evident in this test movie:
> http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-art-tech-gallery/pages/
TransMic&PreTestsSor3_01mov.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/5azyn2
>
> In the same price range, for a single point mic, recordists have had
> good things to report about the Rode Stereo Video Mic SVM
> http://tinyurl.com/5ebwtx Though similar is sensitivity, the SVM
> seems to have considerably lower self-noise.
>
> It has been noted by quite a few recordists that single point stereo
> mics are a better match for closer than distant subjects. If stereo
> imaging is an important criteria, you may want to compare the imagery
> created by single-point X-Y rigs (such as the AT 822 or Rode NT-4)
> and the M-S stereo imagery MS957 to DIY stereo rigs recordists have
> made with separate, spaced omni mics. Curt Olson has a page with
> several designs/test recordings:
> http://www.trackseventeen.com/mic_rigs.html. Here's a QuickTime movie
> comparing some similar "boundary" rigs with an "X-Y" Rode NT-4 in the
> mix:
> http://www.uwm.edu/~type/audio-reports/BoundaryMicExperiments/media/
StereoBoundaryMicRigsEM158_ACC.mov