FR2-LE First Impressions

Subject: FR2-LE First Impressions
From: "escalation746" escalation746
Date: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:04 am ((PST))
Follow-up: bought the FR2-LE, bought some adapters, screwed stuff
together to get a stereo mount, attached a couple of AT 3032s, made
some recordings around the house.

Went to a hardware store but didn't find anything I could repurpose
easily to a Jecklin disk; I am constructionally challenged! Will
likely try a simple arrangement with foam core. May not be as robust,
but I am able to work with that material without real tools.

First impressions: this thing is plasticky. Fit and finish not bad but
overall turns me off. Knobs a little small to use comfortably but no
big thing. I don't like the confusing way the top surface buttons are
arranged in a grid and then doubly-confusingly labelled. It's not
clear which label goes with which button. This could have been a
better interface with about three seconds thought on the party of an
interface designer.

On the side of the unit the Standby and Record are a piece of cake to
use. Might make even more sense to use the remote, since then one can
mark tracks. Mark function should likely have been on the side as
well. Headphone jack on the end doesn't make sense if the side is the
secondary operating surface.

The hold LEDs on the side are a good way of getting a general idea of
levels. The top LCD not so easy to read. I find I need to use the
light which then seems to eat batteries.

XLR fittings are a bit cheap; wish they had not compromised here.

Others have remarked on the fiddly battery compartment and poor door
with plastic hinges.

Overall I'd rate the build a 7/10. It will work and shouldn't fall
apart too soon. Would not use it in a wet environment without
rainproof cover. Would not take it to the jungle. I know NASA sent it
into space but I hear it's pretty dry up there.

However, this unit is a bargain at the price I got it for.

-- robin