Re: impact of noise on bats

Subject: Re: impact of noise on bats
From: "werainey" werainey
Date: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 am ((PST))
Bernie,
There's some older commentary on  noise from flowing water affecting foraging
by bats. In
1986 Herd reported on noise from fast and slow flowing water (up to 80 kHz),
noting fast
flowing water was louder up to about 70 kHz. He discussed two species of North
American
Myotis that often hunt near water and pointed out that the species with the
higher typical
echolocation frequency (50 kHz) was commonly encountered hunting over fast
while the
other (40 kHz) was not. This is not exptl study like the one Gianni mentioned,
so other
factors could be involved.

I also wonder about long term hearing damage from human noise exposure in bats.
Bats
have some elaborate musculoskeletal  skull structures described as minimizing
the risk of
self deafening when they emit calls in excess of 100 dB. However, some roost in
degraded
highway expansion bridges with large pieces of steel striking one another every
time a
large truck tire strikes the loose plate on the deck. No measurements,  but I
can attest
these noises are painfully loud in the more open area below the roost. Unlike
their own
calls they may have evolved no neural warning circuits to prepare for these
very frequent
events.

This leads to recalling another biologist's anecdote on realizing the foxes
living and
hunting near the ends of a jet  runway at Los Angeles airport were deaf.

Bill R.