Re: impact of noise on bats

Subject: Re: impact of noise on bats
From: "Al" ndbdxr
Date: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:22 pm ((PST))
Hi,

I just came across this post (funny, I was also just sorting through
my audio recording accessories and cables at the same time). Anyway, I
record bat echolocation calls fairly regularly, using a few different
bat detectors and recorders. I set up my stuff right outside my back
windows, in the direction of a small garden & a few trees. Now here's
the catch: I live in a very urban environment. It may interest you to
know that bats are recorded just about every evening here. There is a
lot of noise around here, it is constant & loud. Buses, large trucks,
etc. drive by the front of the house regularly. People park their cars
in the back, dogs bark from every direction; and sometimes people even
play loud music. And I still manage to pick up bats. I believe their
Summer roosts are in a few places in the back. So I would say that my
local bats have learned to cope with all the noise.

My goal this year is to record an owl (in one of the large public
parks) - What a challenge!

Best regards,

Al

--- In  Gianni Pavan <> wrote:

> hi all,
>       lately I'm getting interested in the impact of noise on natural
> habitats. Effects of noise on birds and frogs is known.
> But what about bats ?  Please let me know if you have any info or
> literature reference about the topic.
>
> Gianni

> Gianni Pavan
> Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
> Universita' degli Studi di Pavia, Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
> Phone     +39-0382-987874    Fax +39-02-700-32921
> Email
> Web       http://www.unipv.it/cibra

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: