Re: 1 bit recording

Subject: Re: 1 bit recording
From: "Gianni Pavan" gianni_pavan
Date: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:09 pm ((PDT))
look at my page http://www-1.unipv.it/cibra/res_techtest_uk.html to
discover the frequency response, the antialiasing behaviour, and the
noise floor of the korg mr-1 when used in 192K PCM mode and in DSD
mode converted to 192K PCM.
The response of the analog out of a DSD recording is also shown.

Gianni

At 12.34 30/10/2008, you wrote:

>Hello Raimund,
>Ive updated the entry, thank you for pointing this out - I tend to use
>"response" without indicating what it is related to. Perhaps stating
>spectra, or noise floor response would be more appropriate?
>
>BR,
>Mike
>
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>
>"Raimund Specht" <> wrote:
> >
> > "picnet2" <picnet@> wrote:
> >
> > > In addition its hardly giving the same frequency response as
> > recorders that are cheaper:-
> > > I recently investigated this recorder, lots of tech below, in
> > summary: reach for something
> > > else...
> > >
> > > <http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=301>http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=301
> > >
> > > -Mike.
> >

> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > How exactly did you measure the frequency responses? If I understand
> > your blog correctly, you used a 150 Ohm dummy termination as a
> > reference. If this was true, you actually measured the spectra of the
> > inherent noise floor of the recorder and not its frequency response!
> >
> > To precisely measure the frequency response, you should better use a
> > high-level (lets say -12 dBFS) sine sweep signal.
> >
> > Some time ago I measured the spectral noise floor characteristics of
> > the MR 1000 and the results were very similar to your diagrams (high
> > noise levels at frequencies above 25 kHz). However, if I remember
> > correctly, the frequency response itself was completely different
> > (exhibiting a slight attenuation at higher frequencies).
> >
> > Regards,
> > Raimund
> >

>Nessun virus nel messaggio in arrivo.
>Controllato da AVG - http://www.avg.com
>Versione: 8.0.175 / Database dei virus: 270.8.4/1753 -  Data di
>rilascio: 28/10/2008 21.20

Gianni Pavan
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia, Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Phone       +39-0382-987874    Fax +39-02-700-32921
Email
Web       http://www.unipv.it/cibra

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: