Responding to requests regarding Field Playback

Subject: Responding to requests regarding Field Playback
From: "Michael Gallagher" migallau
Date: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:53 pm ((PDT))
Dear Naturerecordists,

I agree with the moderator's determination to steer discussion away from
field playback, for I believe it has the potential to seriously
disrupt bird
lives when used carelessly. When I read accounts involving use of the
technique
by researchers or bird observers, I often feel that the benefits
gained do not
outweigh the potential for seriously disrupting bird lives.

We are still largely ignorant about animal communication and the
functions of
calls. Much research has yet to be done, and many methods will need
to be
employed, including use of playback, But, I believe that should be
restricted
to tightly controlled research enclosures and laboratories, and be
monitored
by responsible ethical standards committees.

For the most part, Naturecordists discusses techniques for recording
in natural
environments. I believe, along with most other group members, I
assume, that
field playback to call birds in, should generally not be used in natural
environments.

In responding to requests for information about field playback, I
believe we
should inform requesters of our concerns regarding its use.

Perhaps a member could prepare a statement that specifies why this
topic is not
generally discussed in this forum that could be sent in response to such
queries.

Perhaps we should add a statement regarding our position on field
playback to
the introductory statement on the home page.

Regards

Michael Gallagher
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia