Re: Snowmobiles in Yellowstone

Subject: Re: Snowmobiles in Yellowstone
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:11 pm ((PDT))
Thanks, Kevin. That's especially true given the 2000 miles of trails
in National Forest accessible from West Yellowstone and outside the
boundaries of the park. Snowmobilers can go as fast as they want,
there. Riders can drive while drinking (assuming they can avoid the
thin arm of the law monitoring activity within the forests), and wrap
themselves around all the trees they can and still survive, leaving
Yellowstone relatively quiet. Even with the 4 cycle engines (actually
more polluting and noisier than current 2-cycle technologies), we
were able to measure the thrum of the engines 8 miles off the trails
(where we snowshoed).

But the aspect everyone needs to be particularly alert to is the
privatization of the National Park System, a model endorsed by this
administration and framed in the current plans of the Dept of
Interior under Kempthorne. This model, which word has it he hopes to
implement before December, applies to the management of the
infrastructure, the rangers (science and education, especially), and
the administration of the parks. This new plan encourages resource
extraction, including mining and logging. If one thinks that
snowmobiles and jet skis are bad...wait!

Bernie