5. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input

Subject: 5. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input
From: "picnet2" picnet2
Date: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:50 am ((PDT))
Hi,
    I use both the H2 and Edirol R09HR, there are various measurements on m=
y site.
The H2 has nice sounding front and rear microphones, four in all. Its also =
a fairly decent
sound card if your portable setup / laptop needs tethering to it. The exter=
nal mic preamps
are not brilliant. For this reason I use the Edirol R09HR. In terms of Full=
 dB full scale the
measurements shown on my site here: http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D119 have=
 some
relevance to the discussion.

The R09HR manages -87.67 dB via its external mic inputs on high gain. The H=
2 with
digital gain at 100 manages -81.27 dB. The R09HR Line input at 96 Khz 16 Bi=
t around -
Message: 88.
Subject: 14 dB with level set at "10" - those are 16 bit figures, I've not
measur=
ed either device at
24 bit.

I addressed the noise issue again with the R09HR while trying to find the n=
oise (in terms of
relative dB full scale) in a mic capsule, http://www.urlme.net/blog/?p=3D14=
0

If needed I can a make a recording using the H2 and a Rode NT1 via Art MP t=
ube preamp
connected to the devices line-in, or simply terminate the line-in if you ar=
e trying to find
the noise floor? ...

-Mike.