4. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input

Subject: 4. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:29 am ((PDT))
> ...[would] a PIP / preamp / line in on the H-2 be an
> improvement over PIP / mic in on the H-2.

Yes, it would be an improvement if you're using a decent mic.  As you
mention, the preamp circuit supporting the H2's external mic input is
unexpectedly noisy, much noisier than the internal mics or the line
level input.

Here's the post by Leonard Lombardo of Sonic Studios showing his
measurements of the H2's external mic input vs the line input.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,93815.msg1260801.html#msg1260801

Note that the first chart shows performance using a cable terminated
with a 1000 ohm resistor.  The second chart shows performance when
using Lombardo's PA-3SX portable preamp.

There's a web forum devoted to Zoom recorders here
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=3D15

Described here are several interesting recording projects, and links
to Zoom H2 hardward modifications, like our own Umashankar Mantravadi
adding a tetrahedral mic array for Ambisonic-style surround sound
recording.

--oryoki