2. Re: Reference question

Subject: 2. Re: Reference question
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 am ((PDT))
Nope. I wasn't thinking comparison, at all, Lou. To me those terms
clearly don't translate to creative output from field recordings.
Only wondering if there were still some lingering mythologies around
the framing of the acoustic illusion? I serve on a doctoral committee
at a University in the Mid-west and one of my grad students is
dealing with aspects of the aesthetics of natural sound, of all
things. I was curious if there had been new revelations with regard
to this issue since it was first addressed a decade ago. I'm not
particularly current on all the literature. Anyone can feel free to
chime in with thoughts.

Bernie

On Sep 14, 2008, at 7:30 AM, Lou Judson wrote:

> Bernie! I was making an analogy with painters - not recording or
> sound design, just art. I might have said monet and picasso, not
> intending a direct comparison among any individuals, just imagining a
> discussion among diferent greats. I meant realism and impressionism
> as styles rather than specific.
>
> Though making an essay in reference for nature and saound would be a
> worthy project, it is not something I would attempt on a Sunday
> morning in email.
>
> If you thought I meant you were one and Gordon the other, that was
> not it at all. More of a platonic abstraction than a comparison!
>
> Thinking aloud, though, would a stream sound constructed from sounds
> recorded in a bathroom be impressionistic, while a realtime outdoor
> nature track a realistic one? Would it depend on the way it was heard
> and how used (a music album, or as a pure listening experience?). I
> can only pose it as a question.
>
> It is a challenge for thought processes to me, not a firm thesis at
> all.
>
> But thanks for asking.
>
> Lou
>
> On Sep 13, 2008, at 3:12 PM, Bernie Krause wrote:
>
> Point of curiosity, Lou, just as a reference: could you please define
> for us
> the difference between "realistic" and "impressionistic?" I'm just
> curious to know
> how these terms are framed in the sound design lexicon diaspora.
> Also, could you please
> give a couple of examples of representative work for each such model
> and why
> those distinctions are relevant? Thanks.
>
> Bernie

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442