6. nature recording

Subject: 6. nature recording
From: "Martyn Stewart" mijdog2000
Date: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:03 pm ((PDT))
I'm curious, Greg. Do you actually record nature? I very seldom see
any relation to nature recording here and I hardly see the relevance
of all the latest talk, as I say I'm just curious.. I would have
thought all the gear that is talked about is tried and tested in all
kinds of "outdoor" environments first?

Martyn
*************************************
Martyn Stewart
http://www.naturesound.org

Redmond  WA
425-898-0462

Make every garden a wildlife habitat
**************************************
Listen to the Birds and the Bees at
http://naturesound.libsyn.org/
View a Nature Recordists Blog!

http://naturesound.blogspot.com/

http://naturesound.org/Copyright.html

On Sep 11, 2008, at 7:31 PM, Greg Simmons wrote:

> --- In  "John Lundsten"
> <> wrote:
>
> > The Schoeps Catalog 6
> > says
> > 5 pin XLR wired as every one else
> >
> > But they do indeed use Yellow for Chan 1 & Red for Chan 2 (Eg on
> their AK
> > 2U/SU 5pin M XLR -- 2x 3pin female adaptor cable.
> > John L
>
> Ah... thanks John. The Lemo/XLR breakout cable I've got only has a
> red band on one lead, no yellow on the other. So I've gone and used
> that for M (left) - which conforms to my maritime approach.
> Fortunately with all of my cables, the red remains consistent, so if
> ever there's any confusion I simply have to open the Rycote and see
> which mic has the red lead on it. If it is the M capsule, all red
> dots are left channel. If it is the S capsule, all red dots are the
> right channel.
>
> A fellow sound engineer in Sydney and I often pool resources for
> larger jobs. I made him a similar set of two-channel cables some time
> ago, but he likes to use red for the right channel. We've done enough
> work together now to realise that we have to choose a standard at the
> start of the day or there'll be trouble. Whoever got the job chooses
> the colour...

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: