3. Re: Microphone cabling

Subject: 3. Re: Microphone cabling
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Tue Sep 9, 2008 7:24 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "Wil Hershberger" <>
wrote:

> How do you wire your 5 pin xlr connectors?

They are wired in accordance with the 5-pin wiring in the Schoeps
cable that came with the MS pair in the Rycote handgrip.

I cannot recall off the top of my head exactly what that is, and the
only way I could tell you right now would be to open the XLRs on one
of my breakout cables - something I'm not in a hurry to do because it
is quite a tight fit getting the Neutrik shell over the Mogami outer
insulation (I use a bit of talcum powder to help it slide).

But, for what it's worth, if I were not following an existing wiring
situation (i.e. the Schoeps MS cable), I'd probably use something
common-sensible like this:

1: shield(s)
2: L +
3: L -
4: R +
5: R -

Where '+' is pin 2 of a 3-pin XLR, and '-' is pin 3 of a 3-pin XLR.
This is therefore the same as John Tudor described in a recent post.
(There will undoubtedly be a standard somewhere for this wiring, and
you can bet there'll be at least one manufacturer who decides to do
it differently.)

I have used my cables on a Rode NT4, which also uses a 5-pin XLR, and
noted that L and R were swapped around. I'm not sure whether the
polarity was inverted as well, it was a brief moment in the field not
in a laboratory.

- Greg Simmons