8. Re: Decca Tree?

Subject: 8. Re: Decca Tree?
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Wed Sep 3, 2008 8:49 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "John Lundsten"
<> wrote:

> JL} Ok that is NOT a MS recording & is a great example of  " a
very odd
> recording with the forest ambience in anti-phase". [and yes I do
mean phase
> not polarity]

I would like to pursue this topic because I feel it has very high
educational value, and hope it does not turn into nasty language.

JL, referring to your quote above: what makes you think that is not
an MS recording?

It is made with a coincident pair of microphones, one facing forward
(whatever polar response you choose/prefer as the M signal) with a
bidirectional (S signal) facing 90 degrees to the left.
Theoretically, there is no spacing between the capsules.

Many film and documentary sound recordists use stereo shotgun
microphones that are designed for this purpose. This is often a
short shotgun microphone that comes with a coincident bidirectional
capsule built in to create MS stereo. The very concept of this type
of 'MS shotgun' microphone is to allow the sound recordist to 'zoom
in' on a central sound (e.g. a narrator standing in a forest, or a
bird in a tree) while capturing relevant ambience with the S mic.
When decoded to mono, the S signal cancels out completely and all
that is left if the highly directional M signal. The resulting mono
sound is *very* different to the stereo sound.