Re: MS

Subject: Re: MS
From: "Kevin Colver" kjcolver
Date: Tue Sep 2, 2008 6:41 pm ((PDT))
One of my back-up mics is a Shurr VP88 which I believe is an MS
system all wrapped into one mic.  It gives me pretty good results
with nature recording.  It is phantom powered or has an internal
battery.  I've set up on a sage grouse lek attached to a long cord in
the evening and gone back the next morning.  Then I hooked up the
recorder with phantom power at the concealed end of the cord and got
beautiful recordings of the birds displaying around the mic all
morning.  I don't believe it has quite the credentials as the
Sennheiser MKH mics but it does quite nicely for much less cost,
especially when the mic is placed close to, or in the midst of, the
subjects being recorded.  It's been nice to have in my tool box of
field mics.

Kevin

On Sep 2, 2008, at 6:32 PM, artsonics wrote:

> Ok.I have a lot of questions regarding a suitable MS setup.
> Something I have been considering for sometime. I see most(A lot?) MS
> users are using a sennhieser MKH30 as the popular figure of 8 mic. Are
> there any cheaper alternatives to this mic.I have wondered how
> feasible it is to use two opposing mounted sideways mics to achieve
> fig of 8 together with a forward mic,realizing this would require a
> 3rd mic input but as I have been considering a 302 thats no problem
> except i wonder about decoding. Further down the track I am interested
> in double MS so I do not want to make any wrong purchases and would
> rather start off with a suitable MS combination that can be adapted
> later for DMS should I require. I realize the justified expense of a
> good fig of 8 so I guess it's just a case of grin and bear it cost
> wise that is. I would like to hear more from others regards there MS
> setup and from any schoeps users. I had considered a stereo mic
> ...mkh418 but I did not find much info regarding this mic or approach
> which by the sound of it was not as flexible a setup as two mics.
>
> regards all clint

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: