3. Re: Decca Tree?

Subject: 3. Re: Decca Tree?
From: "John Lundsten" lundsten_john
Date: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:19 am ((PDT))
Scott Fraser" <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:54 PM
Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: Decca Tree?

| <<also, while having dinner with a film sound guy in Paris he said that
| most location recordists in the European film industry have abandoned
| M-S for XY and A-B
| not only because of the decoding mess but because people complained
| about the 'faux stereo effect'>>
|
| Amongst many of my more cynical colleagues in the audio industry, MS
| is said to designate "Maybe Stereo".

I have considerable experience of stereo for Films & TV and am constantly
amazed at how many of my fellow sound professionals utterly fail to
understand MS, and  the IMO pretty simple methods needed to de-code it. And=

this combined with unhelpful & incorrect "Maybe Stereo" comments means they=

fail to make it work.
Facts
MS has the greatest mono compatibility of ANY stereo mic technique.
If directional mics had perfect off axis response XY & MS are but two 100%=

compatible ways of storing the same information. As real world mikes tend t=
sound better on as against off axis MS has a huge advantage for stereo
soundfields where what is centre stage is of vital interest.
John L