Re: [gear] Olympus DS-30

Subject: Re: [gear] Olympus DS-30
From: "Al" ndbdxr
Date: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:31 pm ((PDT))
Hi,

I've been reading the posts here Re: the DS-30 lately. I'm a
naturalist, birder, etc. and I've recently become very interested in
nature recording. I've collected all of the info that I could from
the web. I have a small collection of Olympus recorders that I use
for my bat detectors. I thought that the DS-30 might have been a
good step up, but now I'm second guessing my purchase. I'm concerned
about the WMA recording format - I would have preferred WAV
(especially for my bat detectors).
The DS-30 is sitting on the table un-opened: because now, I'm
thinking I may want to return it and get a more serious recorder.
Like the Zoom H4 or other units in that price range.
I also purchased a new ATR55 mic - real low budget stuff...
To be honest, about 95% of my recording will be trying to record
Nighthawks from about 25 yards away and recording the output from my
frequency division & heterodyne bat detectors.
Would you, or any other folks in this group think that the DS-30
would be enough for my purposes?

--- In  "oryoki2000" <>
wrote:

> Previous mention of the Olympus DS-30 pocket dictation machine
piqued
> my interest, so I took a quick look.
>
> I can't recommend the DS-30 as a primary recorder, or even as
a "point
> and shoot" recorder for casual recording.  The recorder's preamp
is a
> bit too noisy for these duties.
>
> However, this $100 machine is great for note-taking in the field.
All
> files have date and time stamp so you can match them up with your
> activities.  The DS-30 works OK for capturing nature sound "notes,"
> too.  My impromptu recording of quail with chicks on my patio was
clear.

> The DS-30's internal speaker has 250 mW of power at full volume,
> enough to share a recording with a friend.  When I captured the
songs
> of my resident mockingbird and played them back, he flew over in a
hurry.

> The DS-30 does double duty as a personal music player.  The machine
> can play files in MP3 and WMA formats.  Unlike most voice
recorders,
> the DS-30 can record stereo WMA files, too.
>
> The advantage of using WMA format is twofold.  First, WMA files
sound
> good despite being strongly compressed.  Second, WMA files can be
> converted easily to WAV format for use by audio editors.  Most
pocket
> note-taking machines use proprietary recording formats that need
> special software to edit.
>
> The DS-30 is designed to work with music libraries created using
> iTunes and Windows Media Player.  If you have imported your bird
song
> recordings into either program, you can easily transfer the songs
> the DS-30.  The DS-30's file structure has 128 folders for music
> files, and each folder can hold 200 files.  During playback, the
DS-30