Re: [Nature Recordists] Mounting R=F8de NT1-A as a stereo pair? Nee

Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Mounting R=F8de NT1-A as a stereo pair? Nee
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:58 pm ((PDT))
I have tried mounting them a few ways.  First strapping them to a
tree. I think Rob has mentioned doing this also. I will likely
re-explore the potential of the method.

Next I made shockmounts with pvc pipe and shock cord that positioned
the NT1A pair about 4 inches apart.  Here is an example recording with
that configuration: http://www.rockscallop.org/ear/jh-040427-sll.mp3

Then I began experimenting with a barrier between, and I have been
using them that way ever since. Not because I think this method is
necessarily superior, but because I would have to destroy the rig to
get the shockmounts out.

So far the supplied shockmounts work better for me than any of my
homemade attempts. However, I replaced the supplied shock cords with
thin o-rings and noticed a significant improvement in vibrational rumble.

Good luck Digidandy, and let us know what you come up with.

John Hartog

> At 6:33 PM +0000 8/9/08, digidandy wrote:
> >Is there an easy to set up the R=F8de NT1-A as a stereo pair with
> >not-hard-to-get accessories?
> >
> >Could I use a XY mount on a microphone table stand, for instance? Any
> >suggestions?
> >

> Hi Digidandy--
>
> I use DIY PVC tubing and and fittings because of
> their light-weight and adjust-ability in the
> field. I've primarily used arrays very loosely
> based on "ORTF" with the mics spaced in the
> ballpark of 13 inches.  Instead of a 135 degree
> angle formed by the center axis of the two mics,
> John Hartog  http://www.rockscallop.org/ and I
> have trended towards using an angle close to 60
> degrees in order to favor a more uniform middle.
> The cardioid polar pattern of the NT1-A (a large
> diaphragm mic) seems to be more "treble-centric"
> than some smaller diaphragm mics such as MK-40's.
> I do more selective aiming of treble sources with
> my NT1-A array than I would with other cardioid
> mics but the width of the image in the lower
> mid-range (important for ambience) still feels
> sufficiently "wide" to my ears.  John has also
> made several arrays with baffles. Others have
> posted reports on NT1-A's rigs too.
> http://tinyurl.com/56wox3
>
> There's no huge reason to think that the NT1-A's
> would not work well in Curt's ~head-spaced "rigs"
> too,
> http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/mic_rigs.html.
> One can mount them vertically, somewhat like
> this:

http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/RobD/NT2000-Head-Spaced-Baffled-Rig-Daniel=
son.jpg: