Re: Mounting R=F8de NT1-A as a stereo pair? Need hints

Subject: Re: Mounting R=F8de NT1-A as a stereo pair? Need hints
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:38 am ((PDT))
At 6:33 PM +0000 8/9/08, digidandy wrote:
>Is there an easy to set up the R=F8de NT1-A as a stereo pair with
>not-hard-to-get accessories?
>
>Could I use a XY mount on a microphone table stand, for instance? Any
>suggestions?

Hi Digidandy--

I use DIY PVC tubing and and fittings because of
their light-weight and adjust-ability in the
field. I've primarily used arrays very loosely
based on "ORTF" with the mics spaced in the
ballpark of 13 inches.  Instead of a 135 degree
angle formed by the center axis of the two mics,
John Hartog  http://www.rockscallop.org/ and I
have trended towards using an angle close to 60
degrees in order to favor a more uniform middle.
The cardioid polar pattern of the NT1-A (a large
diaphragm mic) seems to be more "treble-centric"
than some smaller diaphragm mics such as MK-40's.
I do more selective aiming of treble sources with
my NT1-A array than I would with other cardioid
mics but the width of the image in the lower
mid-range (important for ambience) still feels
sufficiently "wide" to my ears.  John has also
made several arrays with baffles. Others have
posted reports on NT1-A's rigs too.
http://tinyurl.com/56wox3

There's no huge reason to think that the NT1-A's
would not work well in Curt's ~head-spaced "rigs"
too,
http://www.trackseventeen.com/soundscapes/mic_rigs.html.
One can mount them vertically, somewhat like
this:
http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/RobD/NT2000-Head-Spaced-Baffled-Rig-Daniel=
son.jpg:
Rob D.