sound editors

Subject: sound editors
From: "Kim Cascone" anechoicmedia
Date: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:21 am ((PDT))
> I haven't used it yet, but I know a lot of peak users who are
> switching to this program:
>
> http://audiofile-engineering.com/waveeditor/
>
> It also has an MS decoder built in, and I believe you can download a
> demo.

I have been a Peak user for many years now and begrudgingly made the
switch from Sound Designer II way back when
while Peak has its host of usability and features issues it is still
the reigning king of editors on the OS X side of things
as for XP land: Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition) was the best
editor I've used on any platform hands down bar none

so to say I'm spoiled by these two programs after spending years
editing sound for game audio, sound art projects and film is an
understatement
I also checked out WaveEditor when I stumbled across it but found it
very difficult to warm up to
it uses a layers paradigm for multi-tracking which is really dodgy --
great for GIMP and Photoshop -- not so great for audio
and while it does have some useful features such as saving out to
mp3, MS decoding etc
I let the demo run out, trashed it and have not looked back

it is slightly better than Audacity but nowhere near the usefulness
of Peak or Audition
that being said Peak is also way way WAY overpriced for what it does