5. Re: 3.5mm mini mics, XLR connections and Fostex FR2-LE

Subject: 5. Re: 3.5mm mini mics, XLR connections and Fostex FR2-LE
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:45 pm ((PDT))
At 6:40 PM +0000 7/26/08, clay wrote:
>I'm thinking of picking up a FR2-LE on ebay with
>the huge discounts currently available...
>
>and am curious how best to connect mics that
>previously went straight into my MZ-RH1.
>
>what's the best manner for connecting 3.5mm mini plugs
>to the FR2-LE XLR/Combo input?

What mics, specifically? This module,
http://www.naiant.com/pfaspecification.html which Kim posted about
last week looks promising to support mics that require PIP powering.
If you want to use mics that have built-in batteries that do not seem
to be XLR/phantom-powering compatible, let us know which mics. It
depends a bit on whether you can turn the FR2-LE's phantom powering
off which I'd have to look up.

>does using a mini to 1/4" adapter
>(commonly used with headphones and such)
>degrade the sound or increase noise?

Not if the connection is good. Of course, in your example, any
"static"  from a poor connection would only affect monitoring, not
the recorded signal. Rob D.