Re: Olympus LS-10 and Sony D-50

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-10 and Sony D-50
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:11 pm ((PDT))
"lilyplants" wrote:

> although I LOVE [the LS-10], won't provide the kind of
> recording I want.

Then, by all means, return it!  That's the advantage of working with a
full service retailer.

> the naturerecordists emphasize the Olympus LS-10
> over the Sony PCM D-50...

As someone pointed out, the LS-10 is getting a bit of extra attention
right now because it's a good performer that is relatively new.
Today, nobody needs to talk about minidisc machines because their
advantages and disadvantages are well known.

The LS-10 is much smaller, and considerably less expensive than the
Sony, and can provide adequate performance once its limitations are
understood.  It's not the best tool to choose if you're interested in
recordings for commercial purposes or for critical analysis (whatever
that might mean in your context).

The Sony PCM-D50 is superior to the LS-10 in several respects, but
it's right on the edge of being too large to carry around as a "point
and shoot" recorder.  Like the LS-10, its high mic sensitivity is
indeed very high.  So it's best used in low sensitivity mode under
most circumstances if you're looking to reduce the "tape hiss" sounds.

If you're looking for a small recorder with a "warm" sound, give the
Edirol R-09HR a try.  Lots of concert tapers like the way the R-09HR
records live music, even when using the built-in mics.

And don't be afraid to send it back if it doesn't work for you.

--oryoki