Re: Going cheap: TASCAM DR-1

Subject: Re: Going cheap: TASCAM DR-1
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:13 pm ((PDT))
oryoki wrote:

> I remain a little concerned about the DR-1's ability to stand up to
> the indignities of life as a field recorder.  The Tascam DR-1 costs
> less, but it is not as well constructed as other small recorders.

It is probably a matter of taste, but I would say that the DR-1 is
well constructed. Of course, the Olympus LS-10 looks a bit more fancy,
but I also like the general design of the DR-1.

> Raimund, can you confirm that when the DR-1 records via MIC2 input, it
> records in true mono, a single channel that uses half as much space on
> the flash memory card than a stereo recording of the same duration
> would? That would be a nice advantage.

> Most small recorders have a mono mode, but they either record silence
> on the other channel, or they record the mono signal to both channels.
>  The result is that mono mode takes as much memory space as stereo.

Unfortunately, it records always in stereo. I beleive that this is not
a big issue as the prices of the SD card media is still declining.
Perhaps TASCAM adds a mono mode in a future firmware update.

Raimund