Re: Rob/Curt rig tried out

Subject: Re: Rob/Curt rig tried out
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Jul 2, 2008 2:26 pm ((PDT))
At 4:26 PM +0000 7/2/08, Andrew Carter wrote:
>Hi John/Rob
>Any chance of posting the Black Oystercatcher calls - it will be
>interesting to hear how they differ from the noisy beastie we have.
>I first of all thought the buzz was caused by interference from the
>Art box, and moved it a metre away from the RH1 - but found it was
>still there just more heavily masked by more birds, once I checked
>back at home.
>Thats why I dont know which actual mike may be causing the problem -
>for what its worth Rob the serial numbers are 0009618 and 0010430.
>
>Andrew

Andrew--

Those are both high serial numbers. You have symmetry with the two
mics so you can easily locate the source of the buzz.

Once the problem is happening, note which channel it is in and record
some of the noise. Jiggle both mic cables to see if the buzz changes
in volume or cuts in and out. If not, flip the mic cables-- that is--
connect the mic cable going to the right mic to the left mic and the
cable going to left mic to the right mic.  If the problem is now
heard in the other input channel, the mic with the buzz/noise is bad.
Contact the dealer. They should replace it.

By "hot shower," in my previous post I should have elaborated, "place
the mics in a closed room with a hot shower running."

Let us know what materializes.

Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D

>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>"John Hartog"
><> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Andrew,
>>
>>  Your recording of oysercatchers makes me want to travel abroad. Here
>>  in Oregon the Black Oystercatcher (Haematopus bachmani)is one of my
>>  favorite birds along the coast. I finally got a good recording a
>>  couple a couple weeks ago, after several years of waiting for the
>>  ideal line up of recording conditions for the particular location.
>>
>>  Not sure what could be causing your buzz sound, but maybe it is worth
>>  a mention that I have had problems in the past with interference from
>>  HiMD recorders when I had the mic cables secured with tape to the back
>>  of the recorder. The spectral signature looked different than yours
>>  though.
>>
>>  John Hartog
>>

>>  --- In
>><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=