7. Re: OLYMPUS LS-10 VS DAT RECORDINGS UPLOADED

Subject: 7. Re: OLYMPUS LS-10 VS DAT RECORDINGS UPLOADED
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:05 am ((PDT))
Rob Danielson wrote:

> If, as Umshanker suggests, the LS-10's record level is an attenuation
> adjustment based on "10" having no attenuation, wouldn't a setting of
> "2" just affect the saturation of the recording, not the noise
> percentage? That does seem consistent with no improvement in noise
> performance at a setting of "2."

Hi Rob,

Yes, the recording level adjustment knob of the LS-10 is obviously an
attenuator (a potentiometer that divides the output voltage of the
first preamplifier stage - similar to the PMD 671 preamp structure
shown at http://www.avisoft.com/tutorial_mic_recorder.htm). Therefore,
this potentiometer should also attenuate the preamp noise originating
from the first preamp stage.

I still haven't tried it, but I could imagine that is would be better
to set the LS-10 MIC SENSE to LOW when recording relatively loud
sounds. In this way, the REC LEVEL could be set to a higher position
(=3D less attenuation).

Another potential source of additional noise is the Plug-in Power that
can be switched off from the menu. The PIP power can also introduce
sporadic crackling noise caused by the 3.5 mm MIC connector. So, when
using an K6/MExx microphone, the Plug-in Power should be generally
switched off.

Regards,
Raimund