Re: Another GPS query

Subject: Re: Another GPS query
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sat Jun 7, 2008 9:33 am ((PDT))
>> Has anyone on Naturerecordists found a GPS unit that will reliably
>> work
>> under the closed canopy of a tropical or subtropical rainforest?
>
> I use a Garmin 60CSx, it has the new chipset. It can get a lock
> anywhere
> inside my house, and in any of the woods here.  Of course that's not a
> thick rainforest so I can't be sure. If you could borrow one it
> would be
> worth trying.

I can only relate my experience with two units. My first GPS was the
cheapest Garmin, eTrex Explorer or something like that. It had the
flat type of antenna. It totally lost it when I went on a trail
through trees or indoors. I put it on the roof of the car to boot up
and drove away, leading me to...

My second GPS is a 60CSx. It has a helical antenna (sticks up). It's
dramatically better at keeping oriented. Usually works under trees and
indoors. I did get a lot of wildly-off track points when I was hiking
next to cliffs on the Upper Yosemite Falls Trail.

-Dan