Re: Another GPS query

Subject: Re: Another GPS query
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Sat Jun 7, 2008 7:09 am ((PDT))
Posted by: "Syd Curtis"

> Has anyone on Naturerecordists found a GPS unit that will reliably work
> under the closed canopy of a tropical or subtropical rainforest?

I use a Garmin 60CSx, it has the new chipset. It can get a lock anywhere
inside my house, and in any of the woods here.  Of course that's not a
thick rainforest so I can't be sure. If you could borrow one it would be
worth trying.

I'm leaving in a few hours to follow a highlighted set of route lines on
it for the next week, across the state of Georgia. On my recumbent
trike.  Out cooking what's left of my brains in the Georgia sun with
1800 other crazies.  GPS sure changes navigation. It even tells me where
the restaurants are and so on.