Backpack for recording gear

Subject: Backpack for recording gear
From: "Ed Anson" ed_anson
Date: Fri Jun 6, 2008 3:26 pm ((PDT))
Hi All,

I often find myself carrying my recorder in a PortaBrace bag, and
slinging a tripod (mics attached) over a shoulder, trying to walk to
my recording site. This gets a bit awkward, and limits where I can go
to record. I need a better solution.

A year or so ago, there was some discussion here about backpacks for
recording gear. Most of it focused on the Tamrac Expedition series,
which looks quite excellent for toting lots of gear.

I'm looking for a backpack with somewhat less extreme requirements. I
just want to carry my 744T, a pair of mics (w/ Rycote), headphones,
some cables,  extra batteries and a tripod. I will typically only hike
a mile or two, though I may occasionally take a longer trek. For me,
it is important that I can set up to record quickly upon reaching my
destination.

The Tamrac Adventure 10 caught my eye. It is large enough to hold all
my required gear, except for the tripod. It can also hold a laptop if
I need one, as well as a jacket or other comfort items. I could
probably even operate the recorder without removing it from the bag.

My concern is that, although the Adventure 10 can lash a tripod to the
bottom, that could make it a bit awkward to carry. The Expedition's
tripod carrying system looks much better, but that would be the
Expedition's only advantage for me.

Does anyone here have any experience using the Adventure series in
this way? Do you have a good solution for the tripod issue -- such as
a tripod that is easily carried in this manner? [I am willing to get a
new tripod for the purpose.] Some people advocate using a light stand
instead of a tripod. Is there a particular model that would work
better with this bag? Is there another bag I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help.

Ed